Monday, January 19, 2009

Pizza Time

What would a Kangblog be without a post on pizza? Before I met T, my favorite pizza joint was Papa John's. I was shocked to find out T did not feel the same! (How can you not love their buckets of butter so you can dip your crusts?) But I soon found out why after T introduced me to his wealth of knowledge on all things pizza.

My top picks so far:

1. Frank Pepe's Pizzeria in New Haven, CT. - their rustic clam pizza has the most GINORMOUS clams I've ever seen! Think red clam linguine on a pizza! I would show you a photo but I gobbled it up before I could.

2. Di Fara's in Brooklyn, NY - love their meat pie. Fresh herbs, imported cheese and sauce, straight out of the oven. Their plain pie is pretty good too. My words cannot do it justice but these come pretty close.
3. Totonno's in Brooklyn, NY - My vote for best pizza crust. Pillowy, fluffy, doughy... T & I wish we could switch DiFara's crust for this one.
4. NY Pizza Suprema (near Penn Station) - A decent pizza if you're craving a slice on the go.


With near proximity to the finest foods, T & I have started a hobby of trying to recreate restaurant dishes at home. Here's our version of pizza & how we got there.


pizza with egg, prosciutto, artichokes, olives, mozzarella, tomato sauce and basil (Jamie Oliver)

• 6 tablespoons tomato sauce
• 2 baby artichokes (use good jarred ones)
• 3 slices of prosciutto
• a small handful of good olives, stones removed
• 1 small egg, preferably organic
• 85g/3oz mozzarella
• extra virgin olive oil
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Smear the tomato sauce evenly over the pizza base. Tear the artichokes into quarters and scatter over the pizza. Lay over the prosciutto slices and sprinkle the olives over. Crack over the egg and place little torn-up pieces of mozzarella in the gaps. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with pepper and a tiny bit of salt. Cook until crisp and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment