Friday, January 30, 2009

Cravings



I remember my friend raving about this cornbread pudding a couple years ago - she's one of those people who make you hungry just by her words (some people have that gift ya know?). And you can always trust her judgment when it comes to food. So there I was many years later and the craving hit me - sharp - and have I had it before? No. But I remembered her words, and it seemed like just what I wanted.
So I made it, we dined, and it was wonderful. It's just the right mix of sweet and salty, gooey but bready, hearty and tasty, and definitely substantial. Think of the crisp sweetness of cornbread but hot and goopy. Another friend called it addictive and I guess it's kind of Thanksgiving-esque. And the best part is, it can all be made in one dish. I'm all for any one-bowl, one-pot cooking! Anything to save me from those dreaded dishes piling up in the sink. Enjoy:

1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can cream style corn
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 (8.5 ounce) package dry cornbread mix
Optional toppings:
shredded cheddar cheese
chopped red bell pepper
sliced jalapeno peppers
*This makes about 12 servings so feel free to cut the recipe in half or whatever you want.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a 2-quart casserole dish, mix together the whole kernel corn, cream style corn, margarine/butter, sour cream, and corn bread mix. Optional: scatter toppings evenly over dish.

3. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (might need to cook longer depending on your oven).

No comments:

Post a Comment