Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My go-to Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe (Bokkeumbap)

14 meals to eat a week. I probably end up planning/cooking 9-10 of them. Going to start posting them up here to keep track and remind myself when I'm tired & hungry after work (not a good combo), and trying to scratch my brain for ideas. Sorry, I'll try to post photos once in awhile but I can't guarantee I won't gulf my food down first! First, one of my favorite comfort foods...

And trust me on the peanut butter. I tried it once and I will never go back.

Adapted from: http://koreancooking.xanga.com/396949194/item/

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups old kimchi
Approx. 1/4 cup of kimchi juice
2 cups of spam (about 1/2 can), diced
1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of "secret ingredient" - peanut butter
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
Approx. 3 small bowls of rice
1-2 eggs (optional)

Directions:
  1. Put spam in heated pan over medium/medium high heat.
  2. Add in olive oil.
  3. When spam goes from light pink to a dark pink, add kimchi.
  4. Add in peanut butter, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix in well with spam & kimchi.
  5. Add in rice. If there isn't enough "sauce" to coat the rice, add in kimchi juice
  6. Fry eggs sunny side, over-easy or well done (your choice) and place it on top of your yummy kimchi fried rice.